A simple and effective way to help young people to understand how their interests, strengths and values relate to careers and the world of work.
How does Career Investigator work?
- Students use an online questionnaire to answer a series of questions and in return, they receive an accurate picture of how their interests, skills and values match to six easy-to-understand career themes. The whole process takes 20 minutes.
- Each student receives a personal Career Investigator profile report (PDF) providing lots of information about their personality, their interests, and broad career themes that match them. Worksheets in the report explain more about each career theme and include at least four job families with example jobs (with online links students can click on to explore different jobs.)
- Two versions of the student report are available; the first is ideal for aspiring younger students in the early stages of career exploration and the second is suitable for older students and is already used by university career services.
- An adviser report provides additional analysis of each student’s profile (provided to a specified e-mail account).
- Teaching staff receive a series of lesson plans that can be delivered to encourage students to engage with their report and reflect on their results.
- The Skills Investigator workshop provides a powerful way for students to build on what they have learn from their profile report.
The Career Investigator has been developed in partnership with Team Focus, a leading educational and occupational psychology company.
What do schools like about Career Investigator?
- It’s ideal for the early stages of career exploration as it’s not trying to do everything for all age groups and it links directly job information on the internet.
- It helps raise self awareness - students will start to understand their interests, strengths and values better, and how they might fit with the world of work.
- The student report supports discussions with school staff and parents about option choices.
- Students need just 20 minutes to complete the online questionnaire and receive their personal Career Investigator workbook.
- Follow-on lesson plans can save school staff time as follow-on lesson plans are provided as part of the annual licence fee.
What do students say?
- It showed me all the different categories there are and opened my mind up to different options.
- Very helpful for picking my subjects next year.
- It was easy and fun.
- It was very easy to use and the results were very well laid out.
- I liked that it gave us a lot of detail at the end about careers and what we could do in the future. I also like that it says what we’d be best at, what we are most interested in etc.
Skills Investigator Workshop
A half-day Skills Investigator workshop will provide a fun and engaging way for students to reflect on the skills used in different types of work. By the end of the workshop students will have had a chance to try different employability skills and consider how they can develop these skills further through school, extra-curricular activities or subject choice.
Contact us to find out more about how Inspiring Futures can support your students.
Inspiring Futures delivered an excellent half-day enterprise workshop. which fully engaged and entertained the students. A memorable and worthwhile educative experience. Inspiring Futures really listened to what we needed and took my somewhat half formed ideas and created something special for the students.Head of Careers, ACS Cobham
I really enjoyed how professional my guidance discussion was, as it made me feel more like an adult. It has opened my mind about my future in a positive way.Student, International School Hilversum
I liked the ability to discuss my options with people outside my family and circle, and being able to use their opinions as well.Student, Strathallan School